Monday, January 18, 2010

From There to Here to There

Ultra running legend David Horton says "you're only as good as your last race or run." My oh my am I in big trouble. Hit the trails today on a January thaw with Peg and Steve (an up and coming fastie UR) The trail was mild, the weather was mild, and the first 10 mile or so flew by as we chattered about this and that. Then....the long break from any significant grabbed me by the legs and the gut and said "Whoa! You shouldn't be out here doing this mileage today!" The legs felt like lead sticks, I'm carrying too many Christmas cookies on my waist and butt, and my stomach-which is usually made of cast iron- decided to rebel just as we finished the run.

Rewind to January of '09. I was well trained, 15 pounds lighter, and had a solid base of miles in the bank going into Holiday Lake 50K. Fast forward through the next several, crazy months of job searching, buying a house, moving, starting a new job, renovating a house, trying to stay sane and...well you get the picture.

So from There to Here hasn't been especially pretty. From Here to There will be challenging to be sure. Especially considering the race schedule and my current fitness. But, today is a new day. I'm generally healthy, mostly sane, and certainly motivated to finish my BHAG (Big Hairy Audacious Goal.)

Let's get it on!

No comments:

Post a Comment