Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Barefoot running Uh oh!

My excitement for barefoot running may have been a bit premature! I went out for my first short run in the VFF's tonight planning for a three miler at an extremely slow pace. I had studied up on the technique required for the "shoe", and literally tippy toed my way through the first mile or so when my right calf muscle seized up and I was stopped dead in m tracks. I walked a bit, but the pain was still there so reluctantly headed for home in a a gimpy trot that took most of the pressure off of the right leg. Mind you, I was still wearing the VFF's so reverting to my normal heavy heel-strike way of running was out of the question. After another half mile or so I felt like my left calf was in danger of seizing up so I walked it home in the cold.

As I sit here nursing my wounds with a martini in hand, I suspect that I was running too far forward on the ball of my foot, and not allowing any help from the heel. I'll get the hand of this....eventually. For now it looks like I'll take a few days off and let my left calf return to normal.

Next up.....29 miles on the Massanutten trails Saturday, January 16th, and then 27 more on Jamuary 17th! Let's hope I recover between now and then.......

Run gently out there!!
J.R>

No comments:

Post a Comment