Sunday, February 21, 2010

The joy of Running

The best part of finishing up an illness is the real joy that you get when you lace up your shoes for the first time. I ran yesterday for the first time in three weeks-pneumonia and fluid in the lungs-and although I wasn't fast, and I was tired, it was a great run. An hour on roads (which normally I dislike) was a great reintroduction to the real joy of running. I felt the pulse rate climb a little bit, a trickle of sweat appeared, and the breathing became deeper and a touch faster as we pushed up the tiny hills. 

Happy to be back in the world of the living. I'm sad that I missed Holiday Lakes. But there are lots of races out there, and the Beast Series will be there next year. It will give me even more time to train and prepare mentally and physically.

Next up is Terrapin Mountain 50K, a wonderful, epic race in the hill of Virginia. It will be good to see old friends and run on familiar trails in the spring. Yipee!

2 comments:

  1. Welcome back. What you have gone through certainly makes us appreciate our good health. See you at Terrapin on a course that just trashes our legs. Rick

    ReplyDelete
  2. I concur with Rick! Nothing like a little setback to stir the running juices :-)

    On a totally different topic...we are having HealthFest this Friday, and I want to use the chorus room again as you always let me...where did you take your classes when I used your room? I am trying to find an alternative for the guy who is teaching 7/8 chorus as I need the room with the piano! :-)

    ReplyDelete